Charges stall in Babylon trial
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
The Babylon attack case involving 94 accused persons from Makumbaya Village, Kombo North, has been adjourned again, with no sign of fresh charges coming up.
When the case resumed last week before Senior Magistrate EF M’Bai of the Brikama Magistrates Court, yesterday, the new state prosecutor, NB Jones-Nebo, reminded the court that the prosecution had earlier intended to amend the existing charges preferred against the accused persons, which would enable the accused persons to enter fresh pleas. She then applied for one more adjournment of the case.
In his reaction to the state prosecutor’s application, the defence counsel, Antouman Gaye, raised no objection, but told the court that the director of Public Prosecution, had earlier on promised the court that the prosecution will not only revisit the charges levelled against the accused persons, but will as well reduce the overwhelming number of those standing trial.
Lawyer Gaye told the court that most of the accused persons are responsible parents, while others are school-going youngsters. He then urged the court to ensure a speedy trial.
Senior Magistrate M’Bai then granted the state prosecutor’s application and adjourned the case to Tuesday, July 29. He again urged the accused persons to maintain peace during the course of the trial.
Author: by Amadou Jallow